Criteria and scoring system
- Sound research concept and quality of objectives
- Ambition, innovative potential and uniqueness of the research idea
- Scientific track-record/potential of the partners (including publications in scientific journals)
- Scientific standing of the organisations the applicants belong to
Impact of project results
- Impact of the project on the scientific field/community
- Contribution to enhancing innovation capacity and integration of new knowledge
- Expected exploitation and dissemination of the results
- Added value of the multilateral project consortium
- Quality and effectiveness of the methodology
- Feasibility of the work plan (in relation to governance, adequate budget, resources, time schedule)
- Collaborative interaction and complementarity of project partners
- Expected sustainability of the collaboration
- Involvement of early stage researchers and gender balance
A four step evaluation process will be implemented:
The general eligibility criteria are:
- Appropriate length and layout of the proposal (maximum number of pages adhered to and use of template for the Project Description)
- Inclusion of all necessary information in English
- Eligibility of all project partners
- Participation of at least 3 project partners (beneficiaries), from a minimum of 2 different eligible European countries participatin in this Joint Call and Japan
- Eligible thematic focus
- Eligibility of requested funding
- Inclusion of a confirmation letter from the external sponsoring institution in case of additional partners that need to secure their own funding
National/regional eligibility criteria of the participating funding institutions are given in the Call Text.
Online evaluation of proposals
The selection of project proposals to be funded is based on an international, independent evaluation by scientific peers. Each proposal is assessed and given a written evaluation by at least two evaluators, nominated by the participating funding institutions.
Meeting of the Scientific Committee
A Scientific Committee, comprising one expert nominated by each participating funding institution and chaired by an independent chairperson, will rank the proposals based on the online evaluations and internal discussion and recommend to the Funding Organisations Forum a list of proposals to be funded.
Meeting of the Funding Organisations Forum
The Funding Organisations Forum, comprising representatives of each participating funding institution, will take the final decision on the project proposals to be funded on a consensus basis, based on the recommendations of the Scientific Committee and in consideration of available budget. Funding will be administered in accordance with the rules and regulations of the participating national and regional funding institutions. All applicants will be informed by the Joint Call Secretariat of the outcomes of the evaluation.